Schooner sailing: Ålesund to Bergen


We left Gatwick on Sunday afternoon, with an overnight stay at an Oslo airport hotel with a little walk in the morning, before a lunchtime flight to Ålesund Vigra airport, which outdid itself by managing wheels down on the runway to sitting in the bus having collected luggage and cleared immigration in a total of thirteen minutes. We then had a longer wait than that on the bus, before a pleasant little drive to the town of Ålesund.

We were dropped off near the tourist information office, from where there was a view across the harbour to our home for the next seven days, schooner Trinovante
We walked down one side of the harbour, doing a little geocaching en route, and then back up the other side to Trinovante.
After dropping off our bags, we went for a little exploring, gaining some height which gave more extensive views, ending our outing with the first ice-cream of the holiday.
Back at the boat, soon everyone was on board except Peter from Northern Ireland, whose plane was going to be the last anyway, but which was delayed. So it was after eleven o’clock by the time we got underway. Su and John were keen to get going tonight because a storm coming up from the south might be troublesome in rounding the cape, after which we could stick to more sheltered inland waters.


At 6.15am we moored alongside on the island of Silda, and there was a general retiring to bed to make up for lost sleep overnight.
Later, we set off for a little exploration. Here Karen is waiting for some of the others.
Exploring Silda
At 1545 we got underway again
We anchored for the night in Moldefjorden


Wednesday we made a rather earlier start, being under sail at 9.45am.
Cheryl and Adrian were part of our crew for the week
We moored for the night at Maløy. There were several memorials to the Allied raid on Maløy of 27 December 1941. HMS Kenya, HMS Chiddinfold, HMS Offa, HMS Onslow, HMS Oribi and HMS Tuna plus two transport craft and 590 men attacked with the support of aircraft. Partly as a result of the raid, the Germans deployed a large number of troops in Norway and thus diverted resources from elsewhere in Europe.
From a small island linked to the main island by a causeway, there is a view back to the town and to Trinovante right of centre
A closer up view of Trinovante moored and looking very small


Next morning, as we wait for one of our crew, Donald, to visit the doctor, a navy vessel is manoeuvring
The drop a boat over the side and it initially heads for us before dropping some people onto the shore.
Some fishing while we wait
After a visit to the fuel depot on the other side, we pop back to pick up Donald who has seen the doctor about his chest infection, and we are underway at noon.
We moored at a little quay at Botnane
We went for an evening stroll
A mountain lake
The view back to the sea from the lake
Heading back to the boat


Next morning we were under way at 10am, initially with no wind
But it did provide opportunity for some fishing, including this shark/dogfish that Lucy initially hooked and was then brought aboard by Adrian
Karen and Lucy look at the shark while Adrian aims for more
A very isloated spot for a house, and with nowhere to land a boat on either side.
Heading towards a lighthouse
At the end of the day, we have a narrow passage along Skifjorden
Our anchorage for the night


Next morning, as we get underway, reversing our course up Skifjorden, a seaplane takes off
And flies past us, twice, clearly enjoying our presence
More reflections as we leave Skifjorden
Getting ready for rain
The fisherman topsail is set
Approaching Eivindvik, where one local was so pleased to see our approach that he fired a welcoming cannon.
A little evening exploration above the village.
One of the two stone crosses of Eivindvik, from around 950-1030 AD, the end of the period of Christianisation of this area. The crosses are inspired by British crosses of the period, probably from Yorkshire, and are known as “Norwegian Anglian” crosses. This one is about 2.5 metres high. The oldest regional assembly in Norway met here, and the Norwegian kings had British priests and bishops in their entourage.


Departing from Eivindvik under sail, reported to be the first time a schooner had done so in over a hundred years.
Close inspection will reveal that Lucy only has the hoodie draped over her – it is to keep off the rain which is dripping from the sail above her head.
Grass-roofed buildings
Su and John, our patient hosts for the week
Hoisting the “fishaker”
Approaching Bergen, and the end of the journey.


Exploring Bergen on Monday morning
Looking down on Trinovante (centre) and the larger boat to its right.
Bergen from the top of the funicula railway (seen approaching bottom right)
Descending the funicula to go back to Trinovante, collect our bags, and say farewell.

Time to head for the railway station, and a journey across Norway…

Leave a Reply