The Mid-Suffolk Light Railway opened 19 miles of route from Haughley to Laxfield in 1904 to goods traffic only, but income was poor, and the company went into receivership in 1906. Passenger operation was started in 1908, but this too was disappointing. At the grouping of the railways in 1923, the MSLR was still in receivership, but it didn’t close until 1952. A short section of the line is now open at Brockford, with plans well advanced to double its length.
Today was a war-time Bank Holiday special, a few days short of VE Day.